Sunday 7 December 2008

Be an exchange student at Sungkyunkwan University!

Studying abroad is one of the best experiences in life when you are young. You will learn so much about another culture and you can broaden your horizon in every way you want to. Besides that, you will meet a lot of new friends, especially friends from other countries, maybe even from the other side of the world. All of them have a different point of view and have different habits then you have. The great part about that is that there is always an opportunity for discussions. But studying abroad is not only about studying. Meet people from abroad, learn about other cultures and travel through the country makes the experience to study abroad so unique!
Once a student made the decision to study abroad, the only thing left to decide is: At which university do I want to study and where can I have the best time of my life? I was facing the same issue as I was planning to go abroad for one semester. Which university can be so good that I can gain a lot of new knowledge? And where can I meet international students to have some new cultural experiences? I found my answer in the Sungkyunkwan University located in Seoul! And I will tell you why.
“Seriously, are you going to South-Korea?” That was a common sentence my family and friends said to me when I told them that I was going to the other side of the world to study. I am not used to live in a country with an Asian culture. I am from the Netherlands, so everything is completely different compared to home, but that’s just what makes it so fantastic to be here. Especially in the first weeks there were so many new things I encountered. I was surprised every day and I still haven’t seen everything!
My main goal was to go to a big city where I can do a lot of entertainments but where I have the opportunity to visit a lot of traditional places. Seoul has all of that! This city has 11 million inhabitants and is very good located in Asia. From Seoul you can easily fly to Beijng, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Philippines and so on. In only a couple of hours you can visit other great cities. And the best part is that it’s not expensive at all! Even if you do not have a big budget to travel you can see a lot of traditional habits, clothes and villages in the country. The Sungkyunkwan university stimulates this kind of behavior by organizing field trips to special places in Korea especially for exchange students. As you can imagine, that is great fun!
The SKKU is one of the best universities in Korea. Korean students come from other parts of Korea and move to Seoul to study at the Sungkyunkwan university. There are a lot of courses provided in English so exchange as well as Korean students have the opportunity to study in English. The mixed classes with exchange and Korean students makes it possible to have some interesting group discussions during class or team project. The campus has great facilities like good cafeteria’s, big library, a lot of computer areas, convenience shops and so on. There is even a special counter for exchange students for help and information. The Sungkyunkwan university provides the exchange students with a perfect modern dormitory where you can feel at home during the stay in Korea. This dormitory is called the I-house and I am living there together with 100 other students. There are some perfect facilities for laundry, washing and cooking. In the lounge are some sofa’s where you can sit and relax, watch a movie or meet with friends to play some table tennis. If you want to cook your favorite food, you can do that in the kitchen which is provides with a lot of equipment! So you don’t have to worry about gaining weight due to forced visits to McDonalds or Burger King. One thing is for sure, it’s never boring in the I-house.
It may sound scary to come to Korea all by yourself, especially when you are from Europe or the US because these parts of the world are not familiar with the Asian cultures. The SKKU has a special group of Korean students who are helping exchange students from the very moment the plane is landing at the airport of Seoul. But you don’t have to be afraid about getting lost or facing problems due to language barriers. This group of Korean students are called the HI-club, where the “H” and ” I” are respectively standing for Help and Information. One member of the HI-club is connected with one or two exchange students and become their buddy’s. It so great to have a buddy because he or she can show you everything in the city, take you to some cool parties and of course help you with language problems. Although English is the most important language in the world, sometimes it’s so convenient to be accompanied with somebody who can speak Korean. The HI-club is even organizing special party’s for the exchange students and for themselves of course! There was a great Halloween party in the I-house organized by the HI-club. They had a nice budget to buy some quality pizza’s, drinks and decoration!

No comments: